Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Day Three - Hope Rising

Nine days ago, I was informed that my job was being eliminated.

My flesh’s natural tendency is toward negativity, doubt and despair. I’ve always joked that if I expect the worst, I won’t be disappointed … and it can only get better. But that’s not what Christ died on the cross for. He died to give me hope. Not despair. Victory. Not defeat.

I finished up the transition of my workload to others in the firm this week, so I’ve been working and very busy. When I arrived home Friday night after my last day, I had anticipated that my spirits would suddenly fall into the bottom of the pit, knowing that I was officially unemployed, with no offer of another job in hand.

But in contrast to the deep depression that threatened to overwhelm me, my outlook is filled with hope.

I’ve fought those little niggles of failing faith throughout the day when thoughts of financial crisis crossed my mind. Every now and then, my heart would beat a little harder and faster at the reality of starting all over again at a new job. When someone at work would say “I’m going to miss you” or “I’m so sorry for you,” the pity party that has been lurking in the shadows threatened to break out into Poor, Poor, Pitiful Me.

But God has shown Himself faithful this week. He has put so many people in my path that have encouraged me, who have provided leads for good jobs, who have prayed for me.

And I feel the strength of their prayers.

During worship service this morning, the Holy Spirit spoke to me in a powerful way. We sing songs every week that God has ordained to speak directly to someone’s heart to strengthen them during a time of crisis in their life. This week, it was my turn.

Jehovah-Jirah, my Provider. Jehovah-Nissi, You reign in Victory. Jehovah-Shalom, my Prince of Peace. And I worship You because of Who You Are.

God is my provider.
He already has my victory in the palm of His Hand.
He is my Peace.

He can move the mountains, my God is mighty to save.

As I stand in look at the mountain in front of me, I can choose to despair, whine and give up. Or I can speak to the mountain with the authority I possess through Jesus Christ.

I’ve not had a serious emotional meltdown – like I thought I would have. Even when I’ve tried to feel sorry for myself this week, I’ve been surprised at the calmness in my spirit. And I can tell you that this calmness is NOT normal for me and nor did it come from me. It’s the Holy Spirit – buoying my soul through this storm.

Christ said He would send a Comforter. This is one of those times that I’ve really felt His presence in great abundance.

And I’m starting to get really excited about that new job He has prepared for me.

1 comment:

  1. What a marvelous testimony!
    Yes, our God is faithful. "For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord of hosts, plans to prosper and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
    The God who owns the cattle on a thousand hills, who provided manna to the Israelites for 40 years in the desert and who had ravens bring bread and meat to Elijah in the Kerith Ravine is faithful!
    Lean hard on your God. Bless you.
    If you get a chance, visit my Web site at www.realspiritualspinach.com. I have a blog there and examples of a faith-based column that I write for the Fremont Tribune newspaper in Nebraska. You also may read my columns on the Tribune Web site at fremonttribune.com. You'll need to do a "new search" and "advanced search" to find more than two at a time.
    Dear Lord _ I pray that you give this dear sister strength and let her know that you are a God who never leaves nor forsakes us. Please give her comfort, peace and strength.
    In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

    Blessings,

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete