Pages

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Number One Fan

In disbelief, I sat and watched my beloved Florida Gators lose a game to an unranked, but nonetheless worthy opponent.

There are many fans who will viciously turn on their team after such a loss. We affectionately call them “fair weather fans”. There are those who will rant and rave and mope about in depression for the next week. There are some who will get on chat rooms, radio and television shows and blast the coaches and players for today’s game.

Humans can be so fickle! We tend to swap allegiances at the turn of the wind. There is no more commitment … to a team, an employer, a friend, or even a spouse.

Am I still a fan? Or am I a fair weather fan?

I am still a fan. I still wear orange and blue, have Gator memorabilia on my car, in my house, on my desk. I’m not happy about their apathetic performance today, but I’ll get over it. I am embarrassed to admit that, in the past, I have been one of those fans that left the stadium early when we were getting beat up on the field.

You and I have a Number One Fan that will not leave the stadium early in the fourth quarter when we are getting soundly beaten by life. He doesn’t stay mad at us for the next week until we have an opportunity to redeem ourselves. He does not armchair quarterback, even though He is certainly qualified! Not only can His allegiance not be swayed when we fall, but He still has us in the palm of His Hand. He never lets go. When we fall short, He’s our Number One Cheerleader, encouraging us, reminding us of His unending love for us, regardless of how often or badly we stumble. Our lackluster performance doesn’t deter Him from His pursuit of an intimate relationship with us.

My Number One Fan watches my every step, hears my every word and thought, sees everything I see. He watches over me with unfathomable care and concern. He cheers me on every time I stumble and fall. He sings over me when I rest contentedly in Him. When I’m sick, He ministers to me. When I’m hurting emotionally, He soothes my heart. When I am petulant or rebellious, He gently reminds me that He still loves me … unconditionally.

It matters not whether I perform perfectly today. He still loves me like crazy and will never let me go. No matter whether I am at the top of my game today or in serious need of practice, He is still right beside me, encouraging me like no other. What patience! What love!

He even wrote the most beautiful love letter – just for me! In it, He tells me the most amazing, sweetest things. I know the plans I have for you,. They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. I watched over you as you were being formed in utter seclusion, as you were woven together in the dark of the womb. Every day of your life is recorded in My book. Every moment of your life was laid out before the beginning of time. My thoughts about you are precious! They are innumerable! You couldn’t even count them, they outnumber the grains of sand! My lovingkindness will never be taken from you. My faithfulness will never fail you. I love you with an everlasting love. I shower tender mercies on you. I bought your salvation with the Blood of My only, perfect Son. I have pursued you relentlessly. I am full of compassion, and graciousness, longsuffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth. I will be merciful to your unrighteousness and I will cast your sins in the bottom of the ocean and will remember them no more. I even know the number of hairs on your head at any given second of the day!

How’s THAT for a Number One Fan?

I’ll bet no one else knows the number of hairs on Tim Tebow’s head.

No comments:

Post a Comment